Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Busy weekend! North Carolina, then Kentucky

What a busy weekend!

Went down to North Carolina to watch Parker's (my eldest nephew) baseball game. Pretty good defensive game and they started really hitting toward the last inning...Parker caught, played second base and right field! From the sound of at least one previous game, this was a good showing. Lost 3 to 0.

After the game, we had a great barbeque that I am still recovering from!!! Corn on the cobb, brats, burgers, pasta salad, etc.


On Sunday, I made a quick trip to Kentucky to pick up a feist pup. Well, to get to Kentucky, I have to go through Southwest Virginia. The town of St. Paul, Virginia was built on land, one of the farms, formerly owned by James Gray (1765-1849)....much later than his lifetime, about 1910-11. There is a subdivision established in 1957 in the vicinity of where the Gray house was located, called Gray Hill. To the east, more in Russell County (outside Lebanon) the road to the original farm purchased by James is called Gray Farm Road. He is reportedly buried there. It's truly amazing how many relatives we still have living in Southwest Virginia.


On my way down the I-81 corridor (before I went through Abingdon into the REAL mountains), I saw the destruction caused by the recent tornadic activity in the vicinity of Glade Spring, VA. Looked truly devastating......Buildings reduced to kindling, trees splintered and clipped, cargo boxes toppled like a child's blocks, debris on both sides of the freeway of all kinds, Road signs gnarled, on and on.

 No pictures from Kentucky because I was busy driving....

No comments:

Post a Comment