Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Unity College in Maine - Alumni Weekend 2011


Unity College is a small private college in rural Maine that provides dedicated, engaged students with a liberal arts education which emphasizes the environment and natural resources. Unity College graduates are prepared to be environmental stewards, effective leaders, and responsible citizens through active learning experiences within a supportive community.

In 2010, Unity College was named to the top 30 of the Washington Monthly college rankings, and was one of eighteen U.S. colleges and universities named to The Princeton Review’s Green Rating Honor Roll.



COMING HOME:

This past weekend, I made the 800+ mile trek back to the Northwoods where I attended college. It was technically my "5-year Reunion" and it was a nice visit. I reconnected with some old friends and made some new ones. To find out more about this great school focused on natural resources stewardship go to the college website ---> http://www.unity.edu

I had the opportunity to participate in several activities on and off-campus. From the Alumni Volleyball Match to a ribbon cutting ceremony at the new "TerraHaus" residence building. I know some pictures were being taken during the volleyball games and who knows when and where they will surface!

One evening I attended a movie (Super 8) at the Unity College Performing Arts Center in town and heard some solid funk-inspired rock at the Student Activities Center on Campus. On this weekend, every year, there are tons of yard sales, produce stands and a whole lot more catering to the parents, current students, residents of Maine (and beyond) and of course alumni. Alumni Weekend is held in conjunction with Parent's Weekend, Prospective Student Tours and The Common Ground Fair. I bought some iconic Maine goods at the fair - blueberries, maple syrup and local honey. The fair has grown so much since just five years ago that I won't even make an attempt to discuss all the craft vendors, bands, agricultural/forestry demonstrations, etc. Just know that it's a great event!

So, next Fall around this time if you are in New England or feel like heading up to the quaint little town of Unity, Maine I suggest you make a point to visit the area. I will do my best to be there again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment